A woman’s bra is one of the most essential items of clothing on her body. So when the wrong type of bra is worn, the individual may experience back pain, dents in her skin, and/or a disproportioned appearance. A woman’s breasts, whether they are natural or have been enhanced with implants, should be supported with the appropriate type of bra. Unfortunately, with so many different sizes and styles, shopping for bras can be very confusing.
Here are some tips on how to find the right bra:
1) Get properly sized. If you want to size yourself, you will need a measuring tape. Start by measuring around your naked rib cage. This will be your band size. Measure the size cross your breasts to represent your cup size. Every 1/2 inch higher of your bust size from your band size equals a cup size. Starting from A to D, you can determine your cup size by following these aforementioned measurement tips.
2) Your bra should fit securely, but not tight around your rib cage and bust. Even if you find a bra with your right size doesn’t automatically mean that is the the right bra for your bust and body type. You should be able to fit a couple if fingers comfortably under the band. Adjust the hooks if you can't do so. If your fingers still cannot fit comfortably on the last hook, you may need to go up a bra size.
3) If your bra slides over your breasts, your bra is too small or the straps need to be adjusted. Wearing your bra, lift your arms above your head. You should be able to move your arms without your bra moving in any direction.
4) Your bra should be comfortable on all ends. If you feel wires poking or your breasts do not appear appealing or natural, you should change your bra size or cup. You should be able to move comfortably without worrying that your bra is shifting from your breasts.
5) Get professional bra-fitting assistance. If you don't feel comfortable choosing the right bra by yourself, find help! Many department or lingerie stores, such as Frederick’s of Hollywood or Victoria's Secret, have trained employees who can help measure and determine the best size and style for you.
Wearing the right kind of bra for your body and bust type can help give you better posture, more proportioned breasts, and an overall more confident look. Feel free to contact the office of Dr. Shah if you are interested in breast enhancement. You can do so by calling (614) 322- 2500.