The thighs are an area that accumulates fat cells, cellulite, and excess sagging skin. These issues make people look heavier and older than they really are. They can also make people feel self-conscious about their appearance, with many people even refusing to wear certain types of clothing because of it.
In some cases, a healthy diet and exercise program can achieve good results. But for other people, these do nothing towards toning thighs to a slimmer shape. Stubborn fat often stands up to these methods, and excess skin can’t be exercised away.
Thankfully, plastic surgery has caught up to modern society’s tastes. Plastic surgery offers the thigh lift as a way for people to achieve their goals of firmer thighs and more attractive legs.
People interested in a thigh lift should know that there are a few requirements to qualify for the surgery. You will be eligible for a thigh lift if the following are true:
• You can maintain a stable weight – People who haven’t yet reached their weight-loss goals should wait on the thigh lift, because losing further weight will interfere with the results. Gaining weight after the surgery is also a big no-no, because it will interfere with the results.
• You are in good general health – Some conditions like diabetes compromise a person’s ability to recover well. They can also make anesthesia very unsafe to use.
• You do not drink heavily or smoke – If you can refrain from smoking and drinking for a period before and after the surgery, you will be a better candidate for a thigh lift. Alcohol and smoking increase your risk for complications.
• You have realistic expectations – It is the surgeon’s responsibility to paint as accurate a picture as possible so that you can make an informed decision.
• You are psychologically healthy – Plastic surgery isn’t something that should be chosen lightly. You need to be emotionally and psychologically ready for the hurdles that may come your way by moving forward with a thigh lift.
After the surgery, bandages may be applied to your incisions, depending on how big the incisions are. Your doctor might advise you to wear compression garments for a time to minimize swelling and support your thighs as they heal. Sometimes, a small thin tube is placed under the skin to drain excess blood and fluid that collects.
It is quite normal to take a few days off from work or school to rest. How long it will take for you to heal completely depends on the extent of the procedure and many other factors. Your doctor will be able to give you more exact details regarding your recovery time.
It is advised to avoid any activities that can cause strain to the operated areas. Activities like exercise, swimming, and strenuous sports are off limits until your doctor gives you the go ahead.
If you are curious about a thigh lift, scheduling a consultation with skilled board-certified plastic surgeon Doctor Bivik Shah is the best and wisest course of action. They will be able to walk you through the procedure and paint a clearer picture for you.