Non-Anesthesia Liposuction Columbus
Is it true that I don't have to have any anesthesia for liposuction?
Liposuction anesthesia, local anesthesia, SmartLipo, twilight Anesthesia
Yes! You can have all types of liposuction with no anesthesia or general anesthesia. However to get the best liposuction surgery results, you need to pick the right procedure for your needs.
There is a lot of marketing that try to convince you that you have to have VASER liposuction or SmartLipo liposuction to have liposuction without general anesthesia. However that is not true.
All types of liposuction (Traditional, VASER, Smartlipo, Power Assisted) have the something called Tumescent Anesthesia. This is numbing medication and epinephrine (to help cut down on bruising). Tumescent anesthesia is not part of the liposuction, it is part of the anesthesia.
Beyond Tumescent anesthesia, you have the following choices:
- Tumescent Anesthesia only
- Twilight Anesthesia or IV sedation
- General Anesthesia
So how do you choose? It all comes down to how much fat you want (need) removed.
The state of Ohio puts a limit on the amount "stuff" that can be removed during liposuction. That limit is 5000 cc (two and half bottles of the 2 liter pop bottles). Unfortunately, the "stuff" that comes out is a mix of fat and numbing fluid (Tumescent fluid) that was put in.
This means that the higher the level of anesthesia you have, the less numbing fluid is put in, and the more fat is removed.
- With tumescent fluid alone (no anesthesia) about a quarter or 3 – 4 pounds of fat can be removed and the rest is numbing fluid
- With twilight or IV Sedation about half 6 – 7 pounds of fat can be removed and the rest is numbing fluid
- With general anesthesia – about 9 – 10 pounds of fat can be removed because very little numbing fluid needs to be used.
So the choice is completely yours! You can choose any type of anesthesia, but each one comes with its benefits and limitations! Call us at 614.322.2500 to learn more about these options.